Thursday, July 27, 2006

Update on Sam
I didn't realize how many people kept up with Sam and read his blog until I slowed down with the updates. I have had so many calls. Sam continues to struggle each day; his quality of life certainly is not good and that is very hard for Sam to handle. He has just done and accomplished so much in his lifetime. He will be the first to tell you that he has had a very good life. Our pastor, Art Luckie, dropped by yesterday afternoon and he still couldn't believe that Sam designed and drew the plans for our house so that practically every room had a view of the water. Art asked me if I planned to stay here in Demopolis and I told him absolutely. Even though I don't have any family here, I don't think I could leave something that meant so much to Sam. It is just too much a part of both of us and I will cherish all of the memories. Sam use to tell me when I was afraid to do something like skiing barefoot or some of his daredevil things that he use to enjoy like boat racing - " you are building memories that you will have with you forever". He loved making memories and loved to talk about them.

Sam had a very rough day yesterday. He was running a very low grade temperature and having difficulty breathing. Hospice had tried several times to get him to use some oxygen and he finally agreed. It is hard to imagine someone that could run 15 to 20 miles a couple of years ago to be on oxygen now fighting for his life. Life sure can be unfair sometimes. I read a tribute to Mother Teresa last week and she was quoted as saying "I know that God will not put more on me than I can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much". I'm about to feel the same way.

This has been an unbelievable nightmare for the past 23 months and I don't know how much longer Sam has. He is incredibly strong and unbelievably stubborn - he still insists on climbing the stairs every night to take his shower. He doesn't like the one in our master bedroom. So last night he climbed the stairs and I followed with the oxygen. We make a good team!!

My prayers are still with all of you and especially with Dan and Chris as they are at a stage where these difficult decisions have to be made pertaining to quantity vs quality of life. It's not easy. Kelly - glad you are home and sleeping in your bed. Hang in there!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelly & Joel Lester said...

Arlene,

Thank you so much for all the kind words that you offer Kelly and I. I am praying for you and Sam and wishing you restful nights.

It is a strange thing how people who have never met can be brought together by such a awful disease.

Thinking of you,

Joel Lester

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home